The following lesson will show you how to use the Simple Past Tense in English.
FORMS
The Simple Past Tense has the following forms:
USAGE
The Simple Present Tense is used to express:
Examples:
I first watched this movie thirty years ago.
She started her scientific career in 1985.
Examples:
My brother worked as a receptionist from 1990 to 1997.
Jenny was a nurse in the army during World War II.
Examples:
We often went swimming when we lived in the countryside.
His father gave him some pocket money every morning.
NOTES
Examples:
TO RUN -> RAN
TO BUY -> BOUGHT
USED TO/WOULD + Infinitive
is also used to express a habit in the past.
Examples:
I used to read comics when I was a kid.
He would ask me to help him when he had trouble doing his homework.
The Simple Past Tense
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2011 | Filed under Grammar