The Present Continuous Tense

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The following lesson will show you how to use the Present Continuous Tense in English.

FORMS

The Present Continuous Tense has the following forms:

  • Affirmative: S + AM/IS/ARE + V-ing
  • Negative: S + AM/IS/ARE + NOT + V-ing
  • Interrogative/Question: AM/IS/ARE + S + V-ing

USAGE

The Present Continuous Tense is used to express:
  • an action that is in progress at the moment of speaking

    Examples:

    Be quiet! The baby is sleeping.
    I'm trying to concentrate, so please don't disturb me.

  • an action that is in progress around the moment of speaking

    Examples:

    His son is studying for a degree in philosophy in the United States.
    I'm reading a rather long novel by Dickens. I don't know when I can finish it.

  • an action that has been planned for the near future

    Examples:

    My father is coming to see me tomorrow.
    We are having a meeting on Thursday morning.

Email this postPrint this postPermalink